Voter Registration

Q: Why is UCSC involved with voter registration? [show]

A: The 1998 reauthorization of the federal Higher Education Act and the State of California Donahoe Higher Education Act include a requirement that higher education institutions make a “good faith effort” to make mail voter registration forms available to all enrolled students.

Q: Why do I see California voter registration on MyUCSC? [show]

A: Student e-voter Registration Act of 2007 requires that voter information be displayed at the time students enroll in classes. To assist with voter registration, we have provided links on the login page as well as a link under Student Records and Enrollment in your Student Center.

Q: Am I eligible to register to vote? [show]

A: In order to register to vote you must be a citizen of the United States, a resident of California, at least 18 years of age at the time of the next election, not be in prison or on parole for the conviction of a felony, and not deemed by an appropriate court to be mentally incompetent.

Q: While in college and living away from home, where should I register? [show]

A: You can register to vote either at your address while in college, or at your hometown or parent’s address.  However, if you register at your hometown address and want to vote while attending college, you must remember to request an absentee ballot.  Check with your county’s election board for the exact deadline.

Q: When is it necessary to reregister to vote? [show]

A: You need to reregister if you move, change your name, wish to change political party affiliations or if your signature has changed.

Q: I live on campus and use my college mailbox.  What is the correct way to complete the registration form? [show]

A: If you live on campus and plan to register to vote here, please use the following information to fill out your voter registration card or complete the online voter registration:

“Residence” Line is Where You Live On Campus—Note: add apartment where indicated because the district line goes through some college buildings and you cannot register you without a number.

Mailing Address is Where You Want Voting Materials Mailed—This is most likely your college mailing address and box #.

Here are some examples:



College 8 – Col VIII

200 Heller Dr. Santa Cruz, CA 95064

College 9 – Col IX room 4 digit #

500 McLaughlin Dr. Santa Cruz, CA 95064

College 10- Col X room #

600 McLaughlin Dr. Santa Cruz, CA 95064

Cowell –Cowell Col

301 McLaughlin Dr. Santa Cruz, CA 95064

Crown College – Crown Col

400 McLaughlin Dr. Santa Cruz, CA 95064

Crown Merrill Apts. – Crown Merrill room #

400 McLaughlin Dr. Santa Cruz, CA 95064

Kresge College—Kresge Col

600 Kresge Ct. Santa Cruz, CA 95064

Merrill College – Merrill Col

200 McLaughlin Dr. Santa Cruz, CA 95064

Oakes College – Oakes Col

150 Heller Dr. Box # Santa Cruz, CA 95064

Porter College – Porter Col

301 Heller Dr. Santa Cruz, CA 95064

Stevenson College – Stevenson Col

101 McLaughlin Dr. Santa Cruz, CA 95064

Q: How do I register to vote? [show]

A: Visit the County of Santa Cruz Elections website at or the new California Secretary of State’s online registration at

Q: When is the last day I may register to vote for an election? 

A: Although an eligible citizen may register to vote at any time, no person is eligible to vote unless he/she is registered on or before 15 days prior to the election. For more information regarding deadlines go to

Q: How will I find out where to go to vote? [show]

A: If you live in Santa Cruz County, you may find your polling location by visiting or calling (831) 454-2060.

Q: I am interested in getting involved in a political organization on campus. What is available? [show]

A: There are several political organizations on campus. For more information you can contact the Student Organization Advising & Resources office at (831) 459-5729 or

Q: Where can I obtain more information about voter registration, voting and elections? [show]

A: Additional information can be accessed at the following web sites:

Revised 07/01/17