University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC), offers a wealth of advising resources, including college and department academic advisers, faculty advisers, career counselors, Educational Opportunity Programs (EOP) counselors and others. Seek advice early as you develop your academic plan and at any time you experience academic difficulty. To take best advantage of advising sessions, come prepared with questions and concerns after reviewing the information provided in the UCSC General Catalog, this handbook, the Schedule of Classes, and your college and department handbooks and web sites. For additional information on advising, see the Undergraduate Advising Center.

If you have general academic questions or are experiencing academic difficulty, contact  your college office to make arrangements to meet with an adviser. Each college has academic advisers and preceptors—specialized staff members who assist students with general planning issues such as choosing appropriate course loads, maintaining good academic standing and progress, general education requirements, and integrating majors and minors into an overall academic plan.

If you need information on a particular major, consult the UCSC General Catalog and the department’s advising web site, and contact your department/major adviser with any questions you have.  Your major adviser can help with academic planning for the major, and can refer you to faculty advisers. Your faculty adviser may serve as a mentor in your field, recommending courses and helping you refine your educational goals; however, most faculty will expect you to get advice about general education courses from your college and major/minor requirements from your department/major adviser.

If you have questions about your career options or graduate school, consult with both faculty in your major and advisers at the Career Center.

For counseling in personal, family, or psychological matters, see Counseling and Psychological Services.

Revised 08/05/14