2013-14 General Catalog


Appendix A | Appendix B | Appendix C | Appendix D | Appendix E | Appendix F | Appendix G

Appendix A: California Residency and Nonresident Supplemental Tuition

The Residence Policy and Guidelines is the main source of residency information and is utilized by the Campus Residence Deputy to make determinations regarding residency. Read the full text of the Residency Policy and Guidelines here.

If you do not meet the University of California requirements for residence for tuition purposes on the residence determination date for each term in which you propose to attend the university, you must pay a Nonresident Supplemental Tuition in addition to all other fees. The residence determination date is the day instruction begins at the last of the University of California campuses to open for the quarter, and for schools on the semester system, the day instruction begins for the semester.

Regulations Governing Residence

The rules regarding residence for tuition purposes at the University of California are governed by the California Education Code and implemented by Standing Orders of the Regents of the University of California. Under these rules, adult citizens and certain classes of aliens can establish residence for tuition purposes. There are particular rules that apply to the residence classification of minors (see below).

Note: Registered domestic partners are included in rules that apply to spouses.

Who Is a Resident?

If you are an adult student (at least 18 years of age), you may establish residence in California if

(1) You are a U.S. citizen.

(2) You are a permanent resident or other immigrant.

(3) You are a nonimmigrant who is not precluded from establishing a domicile in the U.S. This includes nonimmigrants who hold valid visas of the following types: A, E, G, H-1B, H-4, I, K, L, N, O-1, O-3, R, T, U, or V.

To establish residence you must be physically present in California for more than one year, and you must come here with the intent to make California your home as opposed to coming to this state to go to school. Physical presence within the state solely for educational purposes does not constitute the establishment of California residency, regardless of the length of stay. You must demonstrate your intention to make California your home by severing your residential ties with your former state of residence and establishing those ties with California. If your parents are not California residents, you are required to be financially independent in order to be a resident for tuition purposes. Your residence cannot be derived from your spouse, a registered domestic partner or a parent.

Requirements for Financial Independence

You are considered “financially independent” if one or more of the following applies:

(1) You are at least 24 years of age by December 31 of the calendar year of the term for which you are requesting resident classification.

(2) You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.

(3) You are a ward of the court or both parents are deceased.

(4) You have legal dependents other than a spouse or a registered domestic partner.

(5) You are married, a registered domestic partner, or a graduate student, and you were not/will not be claimed as an income tax deduction by any individual other than your spouse or domestic partner for the tax year immediately preceding the term for which you request resident classification.

(6) You are a single undergraduate student and you were not claimed as an income tax deduction by your parents or any other individual for the two tax years immediately preceding the term for which you request resident classification, and you can demonstrate self-sufficiency for those years and the current year.

Note: Financial independence is not a factor in determining residence status for graduate student instructors, graduate student teaching assistants, research assistants, junior specialists, postgraduate researchers, graduate student researchers, and teaching associates who are employed 49 percent or more of full time or awarded the equivalent in university-administered funds (e.g., grants, stipends, fellowships) for the term for which resident classification is sought.

Establishing Intent for California Residency

You must demonstrate your intent to make California your home by severing your residential ties with your former state of residence and establishing those ties with California shortly after arrival. Indications of your intent to make California your permanent residence include the following: registering to vote and voting in California elections; designating California as your permanent address on all school and employment records, including military records if you are in the military service; obtaining a California driver’s license or, if you do not drive, a California identification card; obtaining California vehicle registration; paying California income taxes as a resident, including taxes on income earned outside California from the date you establish residence; establishing a home in California where you keep your personal belongings; and licensing for professional practice in California. The absence of these indicia in other states during any period for which you claim California residence can also serve as an indication of your intent. Documentary evidence is required and all relevant indications will be considered in determining your classification. Your intent will be questioned if you return to your prior state of residence when the university is not in session.

General Rules Applying to Minors

If you are an unmarried minor (under age 18), the residence of the parent with whom you live is considered to be your residence. If you live with neither parent, your residence is that of the parent with whom you last lived. Unless you are a minor alien present in the U.S. under the terms of a nonimmigrant visa, which precludes you from establishing domicile in the U.S., you may establish your own residence when both parents are deceased and a legal guardian has not been appointed. If you have a parent living, you cannot change your residence by your own act, by appointment of a legal guardian, or by relinquishment of your parent's right of control. If you derive California residence from a parent, that parent must satisfy the one-year durational residence requirement.

Specific Rules Applying to Minors

(1) Divorced or separated parents. To derive California resident status from a California-resident parent, you must move to California to live with that parent before your 18th birthday, remain in the state, and establish California indicia of intent from the time you reach 18. Otherwise, you will be considered out-of-state student and will have to meet all applicable UC residence requirements.

(2) Parent of minor moves from California. You may be entitled to resident classification if you are an eligible minor whose parent(s) was a resident of California who left the state within one year of the residence determination date if

(a) you remained in California after your parent(s) departed;

(b) you enrolled in a California public postsecondary institution within one year of your parent(s)’ departure; and

(c) once enrolled, you maintain continuous attendance in that institution. Financial independence is not required in this case.

(3) Self-support. You may be entitled to resident classification if you are a minor and a U.S. citizen or eligible alien and can prove the following:

(a) you lived in California for the entire year immediately preceding the residence determination date;

(b) you have been self-supporting for that year; and

(c) you intend to make California your permanent home.

(4) Two-year care and control. You may be entitled to resident classification if you are a minor and a U.S. citizen or eligible alien and you have lived continuously with an adult who is not your parent for at least two years prior to the residence determination date. The adult with whom you are living must have been responsible for your care and control for the entire two-year period and must be a California resident for at least one year immediately preceding the residence determination date.

Exemptions from Nonresident Supplemental Tuition

You may be entitled to an exemption from nonresident supplemental tuition if one of the following applies to you.

Some of the exceptions conferring residence status and exemptions are for a limited period of time. Check with the Campus Residence Deputy for more information:

(1) Member of the military; spouse, registered domestic partner, or other dependents of military personnel. An undergraduate student who is a member of the U.S. military stationed in California on active duty (unless assigned for educational purposes to a state-supported institution of higher education) may be entitled to an exemption of nonresident supplemental tuition. A graduate student is entitled to this exemption for two years during which the student must take steps to fulfill the UC resident requirements.

Students who may qualify for an exemption from nonresident supplemental tuition based on federal law: The Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008. An undergraduate or graduate student who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States on active duty for a period of more than 30 days and whose domicile or permanent duty station is in California, or the spouse, registered domestic partner, or dependent child of such a member of the Armed Forces, is entitled to an exemption from nonresident supplemental tuition.

(2) Child, spouse, or registered domestic partner of a faculty member. To the extent that university funds are available, a student who is the unmarried, dependent child under the age of 21 or the spouse or registered domestic partner of a University of California faculty member who is a member of the Academic Senate may be eligible for an exemption.

(3) Child, spouse, or registered domestic partner of a university employee. A full-time UC employee assigned to work outside the State of California in an institution or state agency and the unmarried, dependent child under the age of 21 or the spouse or registered domestic partner of such an employee may be eligible for resident classification. This provision most often applies to employees of Los Alamos National Laboratory.

(4) Child, spouse, or registered domestic partner of a deceased public law enforcement or fire suppression employee. A student who is a child, spouse or registered domestic partner of a deceased public law enforcement or fire suppression employee, who was a California resident and was killed in the course of law enforcement or fire suppression duties may be eligible for an exemption.

(5) Dependent child of a California resident. A student who has not been an adult resident for more than one year and is the natural or adopted dependent child of a California resident who has been a resident for more than one year immediately prior to residence determination date may be entitled to an exemption from nonresident tuition until the student has lived in California the minimum time necessary to become a resident. Please be aware that when this exemption expires, the student must have fulfilled all applicable UC residence requirements to maintain resident status and continued dependence upon a California-resident parent. The student must also maintain continuous attendance in a California public postsecondary institution.

(6) Graduate of a California school operated by the Federal Bureau of Indian Affairs (B.I.A.). A student who is a graduate of a California school operated by the B.I.A. (e.g., Sherman Indian High School) may be eligible for a resident classification.

(7) Employee of California public school district. A student holding a valid credential authorizing service in California public schools and employed by a school district in a full-time certificate position may be exempt from nonresident tuition.

(8) Student athlete in training at U.S. Olympic Training Center, Chula Vista. An amateur student athlete in training at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista may be eligible for resident status until he or she has resided in California the minimum time necessary to become a resident.

(9) Graduate of California high school. A student who attended high school in California for three or more years (9th grade included) and graduated from a California high school (or attained the equivalent) may be exempt from nonresident tuition. You are not eligible for this exemption if you are a nonimmigrant alien.

(10) Congressional Medal of Honor recipient. An undergraduate student under age 27 who is the recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor or a child of a recipient who at the time of his or her death was a California resident may be eligible for an exemption.

(11) Dependent or Wards of the state through California's Child Welfare System. A student who resides in California and is 19 years of age or under at the time of enrollment, and who is currently a dependent or ward of the state through California's child welfare system, or was served by California's child welfare system and is no longer being served either due to emancipation or aging out of the system, shall be entitled to a resident classification as long as he or she remains continuously enrolled.

Temporary Absences

If you are a nonresident student who is in the process of establishing a residence for tuition purposes and you return to your former home during noninstructional periods, your presence in the state will be presumed to be solely for educational purposes and only convincing evidence to the contrary will rebut this presumption. Students who are in the state solely for educational purposes will not be classified as residents for tuition purposes regardless of the length of their stay.

If you are a student who has been classified as a resident for tuition purposes and you leave the state temporarily, your absence could result in the loss of your California residence. The burden will be on you (or on your parents if you are a minor) to verify that you did nothing inconsistent with your claim of a continuing California residence during your absence. Steps that you (or your parents) should take to retain a California residence include:

(1)Continue to use a California permanent address on all records—educational, employment, military, etc.

(2) Continue to satisfy California tax obligations. If you are claiming California residence, you are liable for payment of income taxes on your total income from the date that you establish your residence in the state, including income earned in another state or country.

(3) Retain your California voter’s registration and vote by absentee ballot.

(4) Maintain a California driver’s license and vehicle registration. If it is necessary to change your driver’s license or vehicle registration, you must change them back within the time prescribed by law.

Petitioning for Change of Classification

You must petition in person at the Office of the Registrar for a change of classification from nonresident to resident status. Petitions must be initiated during the filing period for the term for which you intend to be classified as a resident. Late petitions will not be accepted.

Time Limitation on Providing Documentation

If additional documentation is required for residence classification but is not readily accessible, you will have until the third week of instruction of the applicable term to provide it. Failure to meet this deadline will result in your file being closed and your status remaining as a nonresident.

Incorrect Classification

If you are incorrectly classified as a resident, your classification will be corrected and you will be required to pay all nonresident tuition not paid. If you concealed information or furnished false information and were classified incorrectly as a result, you are also subject to university discipline. Resident students who become nonresidents must immediately notify the campus residence deputy.

Inquiries and Appeals

All inquiries regarding residence requirements, determination, and/or recognized exceptions should be directed to the Residence Deputy, Office of the Registrar, 190 Hahn Student Services Building, University of California, Santa Cruz, 1156 High Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95064-1077,, or to the Residence Specialist, University of California Office of the General Counsel, 1111 Franklin Street, 8th Floor, Oakland, CA 94607-5200.

Please be advised: This is only a summary of the UC Residence Regulations and is not a complete explanation of the law regarding residence classification. Changes may be made to the residence requirements between the publication date of this statement and the relevant residence determination date. Any student, following a final decision on residence classification by the residence deputy, may appeal in writing to the residence specialist within 30 days of notification of the residence deputy’s final decision.

No other University of California personnel are authorized to provide information regarding residence requirements.

Privacy Notice

All of the information requested on the Statement of Legal Residence form is required [by the authority of Standing Order 110.2 (a)–(d) of the Regents of the University of California] for determining whether or not you are a legal resident for tuition purposes. You have the right to inspect university records containing the residence information requested on this form. The records are maintained by the Office of the Registrar, 190 Hahn Student Services Building, University of California, Santa Cruz, 1156 High Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95064-1077.

[return to top]

Appendix B: UC Santa Cruz Police Department

UC Santa Cruz Police Department officers are duly sworn peace officers under section 830.2(b) of the California Penal Code. The officers are armed and possess the same authority and responsibility, by law, as those in municipal police departments. Officers patrol the campus 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, on foot, bicycle, motorcycle, or by car. They enforce the law, arrest violators, investigate and suppress crime, investigate traffic and bicycle accidents, and provide a full range of services to the community.

It is important that all crimes occurring on campus be immediately reported to the Police Department to ensure that appropriate action can be taken. Emergencies requiring police, fire, or medical aid can be reported in person or by dialing 911 from any campus, cell phone or landline phone. Emergencies can also be reported by using one of the "Blue Light" emergency phones or elevator phones located throughout the campus.

Non-emergency calls for assistance can be made by phoning the UC Santa Cruz Police Department at (831) 459-2231.

The UC Santa Cruz Police Department is also responsible for the campus Lost-and-Found service. To inquire about a lost item, or to drop off a found item, please visit the Police Department, which is located near the main entrance to campus.

The Parking Enforcement Office (for paying parking citations and requesting special parking consideration) is in the same location. Citation payments may be made online at, 24 hours a day, or in person during business hours.

For more information about the UC Santa Cruz Police Department, please visit

Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security and Campus Crime Statistics Act

Choosing a postsecondary institution is a major decision for students and their families. Along with academic, financial and geographic considerations, the issue of campus safety is a vital concern. In 1990, Congress enacted the Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act of 1990, which amended the Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA). This act required all postsecondary institutions participating in HEA’s Title IV student financial assistance programs to disclose campus crime statistics and security information. The act was amended in 1992, 1998, and 2000. The 1998 amendments renamed the law the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act in memory of a student who was slain in her dorm room in 1986. It is generally referred to as the Clery Act.

More information about the Clery Act can be found at:

Notice of Availability: Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report

On October 1 of each year, an e-mail notification is sent to all enrolled students, academic and staff personnel that provides the web site to access this report. This report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by UC Santa Cruz; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus.

The report also includes information on fire protection systems, fire prevention policies, as well as institutional policies concerning other safety and security matters. Community members, students, academic and staff personnel, and guests are encouraged to immediately report all crimes and public safety related incidents to the UC Santa Cruz Police Department.

You can obtain a copy of this report by contacting the UC Santa Cruz Police Department, 1156 High Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95064, (831) 459-2231, or by accessing the following web site:

The UC Santa Cruz Police Department submits the annual crime and fire statistics published in this report to the Department of Education. The statistical information gathered by the Department of Education is available to the public through the Department of Education web site:

Consequences for Non-Compliance with the Clery Act

Possible consequences for an institution’s non-compliance with the Clery Act include:

  • A suspension or limiting of the institutions Title IV funding

  • The Department of Education may issue a civil fine up to $35,000 per violation

  • The institution may suffer reputational loss due to negative media attention

  • Failure to comply with the Clery Act can be used in various litigation matters

Clery Compliance Committee

In order to assist the university administration with achieving annual compliance with the Clery Act, UC Santa Cruz has appointed members of the campus community to the Campus Clery Act Compliance Committee. The overall charge of the Campus Clery Act Compliance Committee is to plan and facilitate activities that will directly support the campus in achieving compliance.

In part, coordination and documentation for compliance is managed through the UC Santa Cruz Police Department.  The committee consists of members from the follow departments at UC Santa Cruz:

  • Police Department

  • General Counsel

  • Executive Vice-Chancellor and Provost Office

  • CHES (Colleges Housing and Educational Services)

  • Student Judicial Affairs

  • Dean of Students

  • Fire Department

  • Women’s Center

  • Student Health Center

  • Risk Management

  • Environmental Health and Safety

  • Human Resources

  • Admissions

  • ITS (Information and Technology Services)

[return to top]

Appendix C: Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act

In compliance with the federal Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act, UCSC annually notifies students, faculty, and staff of policies, procedures, and potential consequences related to unlawful possession, use, or distribution of drugs and alcohol on campus. This notice is distributed to students through the colleges and the Graduate Studies Division, and to faculty and staff via e-mail. The university also conducts a biannual review of programs related to drugs and alcohol to determine effectiveness, implement changes, and ensure that disciplinary sanctions are consistently enforced. This review is conducted by the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, (831) 459-2474.

[return to top]

Appendix D: Smoking on Campus Policy

To protect the rights of the nonsmoking campus community to breathe smoke-free air, UCSC previously adopted a policy that bans smoking in areas occupied by the nonsmoking population. The current policy applies to residential and nonresidential university buildings and vehicles and to all individuals on the campus. Smoking is prohibited inside the residence halls (including student rooms) as well as residence hall lounges, inside individual apartments, community rooms, bathrooms, lounges, cafés, and dining halls. Additionally, smoking is, prohibited in all indoor public spaces at UC Santa Cruz—both academic and residential. The no-smoking policy includes exterior stairways, decks, and balconies. Smoking outside is permitted only in designated areas, 25 feet away from all buildings and air intakes. Tobacco products are not be sold on campus through vending machines or campus establishments. UCSC supports and assists efforts to stop smoking by providing literature and referrals to community cessation programs. Students may obtain information about the programs from the Cowell Student Health Center (831) 459-2211. NOTE: The University of California has committed to becoming entirely tobacco-free at all campus locations systemwide, no later than January 1, 2014. UCSC will be implementing a revised policy reflecting this change prior to the January 1, 2014, implementation. Use of all forms of tobacco, including smokeless tobacco products and unregulated nicotine products (e.g., “e-cigarettes”) will be strictly prohibited in all indoor and outdoor spaces including parking lots. Tobacco users will be supported in accessing a variety of free and low-cost tobacco-cessation services. For more detailed information about the current smoking policy see the web: (under Environmental Health and Safety [EH&S] Administration, Policies).

[return to top]

Appendix E: Policies and Regulations

The Student Policies and Regulations Handbook, the Code of Student Conduct, and related appendixes may be accessed online. The Student Policies and Regulations Handbook is also available in alternate formats such as enlarged print, braille, audiocassette, or electronic disc from Student Judicial Affairs. Topics include:

  • Policy on Nondiscrimination

  • Policy on Speech and Advocacy

  • Policy on Use of University Properties

  • Policy on Campus Emergencies

  • Registered Campus Organizations

  • University Obligations and Student Rights

  • Policy on Student Governments

  • Policy on Campus-Based Student Fees

  • Code of Student Conduct

  • Policy on Student Grievance Procedures

  • Policy on Student Participation in Governance

  • Policies Applying to the Disclosure of Information from Student Records

  • Guidelines Applying to Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability

  • University of California Authorized Student Governments

  • Use of the University’s Name

  • Nondiscrimination Policy Statement for University of California Publications Regarding Student-Related Matters

  • UCSC Alcohol and Drug Policy

  • University of California Policy on Hazing

  • Policy on Sexual Harrassment for Undergraduates

  • UCSC Academic Dishonesty Policy

  • UCSC Policy on Sexual Orientation Harassment/Discrimination

  • UCSC Guidelines for Speakers and Public Events for Students and Campus Organizations

  • UCSC Computer Guidelines: Policies for Use of UCSC Computing Facilities

  • UCSC Smoking Policy

  • UCSC Public Nudity and Sexually Offensive Conduct Policy

  • UCSC Hate/Bias Incident Policy

  • UCSC Procedures for Ensuring Adequate Interim Protection from Retaliation or Intimidation for Complainant(s), Witness(es), and other Individuals

  • UCSC Policy on Academic Integrity for Graduate Students

For further information, stop by 245 Hahn Student Services Building or call (831) 459-1738.

[return to top]

Appendix F: Graduate Student–Faculty Adviser Relationship Guidelines

The University of California, Santa Cruz, expects professional, fair, and frequent communication between graduate students and their advisers. Open communication and mutual respect should be the foundation of the relationship between a graduate student and faculty adviser. The graduate adviser and the graduate student should discuss their student-adviser relationship early, and clearly communicate mutual and agreeable expectations from the beginning. Regular interactions, especially face-to-face meetings, are essential in ensuring that expectations and goals are met.

In an optimal learning environment, the faculty adviser should provide timely and constructive feedback on performance and expectations; timely and sufficient warning of inadequate performance; appropriate recognition of a student’s intellectual contributions; and academic and professional advice on all stages of the graduate career. The graduate student should be an active participant in seeking advice and getting feedback on progress, keeping the faculty adviser informed of plans, progress, and obstacles, and contributing during regular progress assessments. The faculty adviser and the student each have the duty and responsibility to initiate meetings as necessary to foster and protect the success of the relationship.

Professionalism and fairness should guide the graduate student–faculty adviser relationship. Graduate students and faculty should avoid relationships that conflict with their particular roles and responsibilities. Faculty advisers and graduate students are bound by policies that prohibit discrimination and harassment. Graduate students may be entitled to accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act. (See Appendix E: Policies and Regulations and Nondiscrimination and Affirmative Action Policies.) When concerns and conflicts arise, they should be raised and attended to professionally, honestly, and promptly. Retaliation and discrimination against students for raising concerns are prohibited.

If something happens that upsets the faculty adviser–graduate student relationship and cannot be resolved either by direct or indirect discussion, a graduate student can seek assistance from a trusted faculty member, the dean of graduate studies, the graduate director, the department chair, the ombudsman, and/or counseling and psychological services. Graduate students may request confidentiality. Many departments have developed processes to address a range of potential concerns. For information about grievance and appeal procedures, see Appendix E: Policies and Regulations and Nondiscrimination and Affirmative Action Policies. For a description of additional informal and formal grievance and appeal processes available to UCSC graduate students, please refer to the Graduate Student Handbook.

[return to top]

Appendix G: Student Judicial Affairs

Student Judicial Affairs is responsible for the adjudication of all nonacademic student and student organization misconduct for UCSC. In this capacity, Student Judicial Affairs administers the Code of Student Conduct in accordance with Section 100.00 of the Student Policies and Regulations Handbook. Allegations of misconduct may be brought by students, faculty, staff, police, visitors to the campus, and members of our local community. Allegations should be made in writing and delivered to Student Judicial Affairs.

Upon receipt of an allegation, Student Judicial Affairs will review the merits of the allegation and then conduct an investigation to determine if a violation has occurred. If no violation can be proven, the matter will be dropped. If a violation is proven, then an appropriate sanction will be recommended to the student or student organization for their review and acceptance. If the recommendation is unacceptable, the student or student organization may request a formal hearing or file a written appeal. If you have a question about a possible violation, university policy, or your rights in the discipline process, please feel free to contact the office for a phone consultation or to schedule an appointment.

Student Judicial Affairs serves as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance resolution office for grievances of alleged discrimination based on disability or handicap. In addition, Student Judicial Affairs is the resource office for grievances of alleged discrimination based on race, color, national origin, or sexual orientation, and for incidents of hate/bias.

The Office of Student Judicial Affairs is located in 245 Hahn Student Services Building and can be reached by phone at (831) 459-1738, by fax at 459-3188, or via e-mail at; or on the Web.

[Return to top]

Revised: 09/01/13