FAQs for Students: Graduation

Q: How do I apply for graduation? [show]

A: Follow the instructions at How to Apply for Graduation. If you do not have access to MyUCSC or the link is not available to you, download the form at Apply/Reapply to Graduate.

Q: Where can I find the graduation application deadline? [show]

A: Application deadlines are in the Academic and Administrative Calendar under the heading "Announcing Candidacy for Degree/Apply to Graduate."

Q: I applied for graduation but need to apply for a different term. How do I change my application for graduation? [show]

A: If you need to reschedule your graduation application, download the form at Apply/Reapply to Graduate.

Q: How do I sign up to participate in a commencement ceremony? [show]

A: Contact your college office. Ceremony contact information is available at the advising web site.

Q: How can I tell if I have graduated? [show]

A: Log into MyUCSC.
  • Go to Main Menu.

  • Select the My Student Center folder.

  • Select the My Student Center page.

  • Click Student Advising Summary at the top of the Student Center.

  • Click the Degree tab. Your degree status will be displayed.

Q: I have graduated and need to show proof of my degree. [show]

A: You can print out your unofficial transcript from MyUCSC or, if you need official proof, you may order an official transcript. You may access online verification of degree completion through the National Student Clearinghouse. You may also print out a Request for Certificate of Completion of Degree Requirements and mail it in with a check.

Q: I applied to graduate and need to show proof that I will receive my degree. [show]

A: You can order an official Certificate of Completion at the Office of the Registrar that states you will receive your degree. All requirements must be met.

Q: When should I expect to receive my diploma? [show]

A: Diplomas are mailed to the permanent address between two and three months after the quarter in which you graduated. Permanent addresses may be updated on MyUCSC.

Q: My diploma is missing/destroyed. How can I get a replacement? [show]

A: There is only one original diploma. To request a replacement diploma, notating the replacement, complete a Diploma Re-Order Request Form, attach a $60 check made payable to “UC Regents,” and send to the Office of the Registrar. Replacement diplomas can take anywhere from one to two months.

Q: Can I have my degree awarded to an earlier term? [show]

A: No. You must apply to graduate on MyUCSC to be a candidate for the current or future quarters. It is your responsibility to verify completion of all requirements prior to applying to graduate and resolve any problems prior to the end of the quarter which you applied to graduate. If you did not apply to graduate or all requirements were not completed by the deadline in the Academic and Administrative Calendar, you may apply to the upcoming quarter. If there was a university error verifying completed requirements, the department that made the error should get in contact with the Office of the Registrar. Because signatures on the diploma may vary, backdated diplomas contains the following notation, "THIS DIPLOMA ISSUED WITH INCUMBENT SIGNATURES." The notation is in six point font at the bottom quarter-inch of the diploma.


Revised: 08/24/14.