University of California, Santa Cruz Guidelines for Establishing the Academic and Administrative Calendar
The University of California, Santa Cruz, calendar must be developed in accordance with University of California (UC) systemwide and University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC) campus guidelines.
I. University of California Systemwide Guidelines
b. Establishment of UC Common Academic Calendar Start Dates
II. University of California, Santa Cruz Campus Guidelines
UCSC campus "Guidelines for Establishing the Academic and Administrative Calendar" follow
1. Incorporate the campus administrative holiday calendar, including the Cesar Chavez Holiday to be observed on the last Friday in March.
2. Observe approved campus closure dates for UCSC.
3. Provide for up to four days of scheduled final exams per quarter. If at all possible, exams will be scheduled on weekdays. When possible, a weekend will be provided between the end of instruction and the start of finals. California Education Code 92640(a) requires that faculty must accommodate requests for alternate examination dates at a time when that activity would not violate a student’s religious creed.
4. UCSC will not utilize exchange days.
5. Adhere to UC common instructional start dates, as developed by the UC Council of Registrars. UCSC's preference: fall quarter should begin on a Saturday, and instruction should begin on a Thursday. This provides time prior to the start of instruction for activities including move in, orientation, and placement testing.
6. The start date of the fall quarter determines when the quarter will end. UCSC's preference is for at least one week of instruction following the Thanksgiving holiday.
7. Veterans Day is observed on November 11 when that day falls on a weekday. When November 11 falls on a Saturday, the preceding Friday will be observed. When November 11 falls on a Sunday, the following Monday will be observed.
8. Adhere to UC common instructional start dates, as developed by the UC Council of Registrars. UCSC's preference: winter quarter begins as early in January as possible, but not on a Friday. One workday should be provided before instruction begins.
9. The spring break should include one week plus two weekends.
10. Adhere to UC common instructional start dates, as developed by the UC Council of Registrars. UCSC's preference: Spring quarter should begin on a Monday, and the first day of the quarter may be the first day of instruction.
11. Spring quarter ends on a Thursday.
12. Commencement ceremonies and celebrations may be scheduled Friday through Sunday following the end of spring quarter.